NIE after 3 months

It seems a minefield - we hope to help...
courier

NIE after 3 months

Post by courier » 23 Sep 2016 10:44

Hi, complete newbie with Spain so be gentle lol, i am looking to rent or buy a holiday home in 2017, i will be non resident to start.
Looking through all the things i need to do the NIE has got me confused. Apparently the NIE certificate is now only valid for three months. There appears to be lots of instances where i may need to produce a valid NIE certificate after the three months so what is the solution ?
I realise the NIE number stays with you but the certificate after 3 months is the issue.

cantabrian

Re: NIE after 3 months

Post by cantabrian » 23 Sep 2016 17:32

We have never needed to show a certificate, you will get a credit card size ticket and that is all you need to show if requested. also get it laminated properly ,Welcome, :Hattip

John

Post by John » 23 Sep 2016 23:48

Welcome to the forum, courier!

If you register as non-resident, the authorities will issue you with a NIE, usually with a specific purpose in mind.
However, it's a bit of a grey area, as that number stays with you for life. If you ever apply for a green residents certificate "Certificado de registro como residente comunitario" then it will have the very same number upon it.
Strictly speaking, if you stay in Spain for more than 3 months at a time, you should apply for one of these.

When my wife applied for our first NIE (non resident) in 1996 it was a nightmare at the office in Almería, but we did eventually get it done. The staff are more organised and helpful these days. The office has moved in the street next to the "Mediterraneo" shopping centre in Almería.

courier

Post by courier » 24 Sep 2016 13:50

Thanks guys, i will have to time everything carefully :D i'm not going to be in Spain more than 90 days each six months for the first two years. May want a car after the 3 months though so we shall see if problems arise.

Is there a 'workaround' known when you dont have an address to use on the application form ?, going to be in the Alicante area.