Pay per km on Spanish roads

Items from further afield
John

Pay per km on Spanish roads

Post by John »

This is as part of a "National Recovery Plan" to please Brussels, though I'm not sure how stifling travel or making it more expensive will do a lot for the economy.
https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_ ... hways.html
4 centimos per km is mooted which doesn't sound much, but it will be €16 extra on a return from Arboleas to Alicante, or €8.80 on a return trip to Almería.
(Other trips are available) :lol:
People can avoid it by not travelling on "High capacity roads" so if they can, they will.

Personally, I always avoided the M6 Toll.

:dosh
Loverboy

Re: Pay per km on Spanish roads

Post by Loverboy »

Unfortunately, they've been kicking that one around for a while in the UK, on all roads. I guess it's instead of road tax :shrg
Electric cars not using taxable fuel :shrg who knows :shrg but it's coming :tdown
John

Post by John »

I thought electricity was at 5% VAT Loverboy.
Nothing like the amount of tax on petrol and diesel though. I don't mind paying a couple of quid to go through the Dartford Tunnel, but I prefer the bridge down the river as it means I'm going the "right" way. :lol:

This is just one measure to try to balance the EU budget, whereas we are not in that exclusive control freakery club any more so saved a few billion.
Loverboy

Post by Loverboy »

I agree John, but I meant "taxable road fuel" They won't put up the tax on electricity, but they will hit car users. I don't know how much revenue come's in from road fuel, but it's got to be huge and they're going to miss that. Mileage seems the only way.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

That's going to push up the cost of everything when the haulage firms factor this in.
Never forget the pie you were baked in!
John

Post by John »

It can only stifle the economy. However the road hauliers don't really have an option of using battery powered vehicles, they still need to use powerful diesel engines to haul 38 tonnes.
A couple of U2 batteries don't really cut it, do they? :lol: