Pink Floyd - The Endless River

drax
Long service award
Awesome factor: Darrener

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Post by drax »

The Endless River is the upcoming fifteenth studio album by British rock band Pink Floyd. Produced by David Gilmour, Martin Glover, Andy Jackson and Phil Manzanera, the album is set to be released in October 2014. The album is the band's first in twenty years, the last being 1994's The Division Bell.

The album is also the band's first after the death of the band's keyboardist and founding member Richard "Rick" Wright (although Wright is to be featured on the album) and the third by the Gilmour-helmed Pink Floyd after Roger Waters' departure from the band in 1985, following the release of The Final Cut.
:tup
Bad spellers of the world, untie!

Minerva
Long service award

Re: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Post by Minerva »

I have a very excited man here in the house as a result of that post Drax, I shall have to try to keep him calm until it's released!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

Minerva
Long service award

Post by Minerva »

PS...if you happen to find out when and where it's available on pre-order I shall be very, very grateful! No sign of it on Amazon yet....

drax
Long service award

Post by drax »

No problem, when I spot the exact date I'll let you know, or just keep an eye on Amazon. What they call "ambient music" though is beyond me?

Minerva
Long service award

Post by Minerva »

Dear knows - my OH and I share a lot of similar music and then we both go off in different directions, eg I love Jackson Browne, he likes Enigma (Enigma, for goodness sake!!!) and when he puts on that wee nyerp Phil Collins I get my own back later by having Chris Rea on full blast!

annastasia

Post by annastasia »

Enigma are brilliant!!!!!!
Free Spirit

Minerva
Long service award

Post by Minerva »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I quite like some of their stuff, but they're not quite Jackson Browne, or Lucy Kaplansky, :Wink1

drax
Long service award

Post by drax »

The album cover has been revealed, still awaiting the music
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29313026

Minerva
Long service award

Post by Minerva »

I see it's available to pre-order from Amazon at £10.99 or, it also comes in vinyl (!) at £26.99....

drax
Long service award

Post by drax »

Released on 10th November
Rolling Stone Magazine wrote:The two-decade wait for a new Pink Floyd album ends November 10th with The Endless River, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band has unveiled another 30-second preview of what fans can expect from their first LP in 20 years. While the first Endless River tease leaned toward the more ambient, "Marooned" sound of 1994 Floyd and the second focused on late keyboardist Rick Wright's contributions, this third audio clip puts David Gilmour into the spotlight.

That guitar sound is unmistakably Gilmour's, and it still radiates as brightly as it did on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," even though this brief snippet, despite its "Run Like Hell" undercurrent, is more reminiscent of Gilmour's late-Seventies solo tracks like "Raise My Rent" and "Short and Sweet" than his Floyd output. The bass is also nearly invisible in the mix, a reminder that Roger Waters is in no way involved with The Endless River.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, The Endless River is "a four-sided instrumental album," although one track, "Louder Than Words," features lyrics by Gilmour's wife Polly Samson. Much of The Endless River was culled from the same 1994 studio sessions that resulted in The Division Bell. Following the death of Wright in 2008, Gilmour decided to revisit what he, Wright and drummer Nick Mason had recorded together.

"We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album," Gilmour said in a statement. "Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."

In fact, one track called "Autumn '68" is a direct reference to – and potentially a sequel to – the band's 1970 Atom Heart Mother cut "Summer '68," which was written and sung by Wright. The Endless River also continues The Division Bell's theme of communication breakdowns with track titles like "Things Left Unsaid," "The Lost Art of Conversation" and "Louder Than Words."
Pink Floyd official website wrote:Details about The Endless River, the new Pink Floyd album from David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason, were revealed today as the album artwork appeared on buildings in ten international cities, including an eight-metre lit installation on London's Southbank.

The album will be released on Parlophone/Warner Music on 10 November and is produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson.

David Gilmour said:
"The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."

Nick Mason said:
"The Endless River is a tribute to Rick. I think this record is a good way of recognizing a lot of what he does and how his playing was at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. Listening back to the sessions, it really brought home to me what a special player he was."

The Endless River is mainly an instrumental album across 'four sides' with one song, 'Louder Than Words', with new lyrics by novelist Polly Samson.
News and Audio previews, click listen
:Hattip